The Seattle Go community is fortunate to have frequent strong visitors, teaching and competing at the Go Center. A good example — Feb. 29 – March 3, 小野慎吾 (Ono Shingo) will be here.
Mr. Ono is a strong Japanese amateur and friend of Chris Scribner’s. He’s ranked as a Japanese amateur 7 dan, but in tournaments he plays at a 12d rating. He’s not an accredited pro, but his strength is close to pro 1 dan. Chris listed a few of Mr. Ono’s achievements from his profile page:
- Won the central Japan Meiyo Honinbou (amateur) tournament 7 times in a row
- Won the amateur Ryusei (national) tournament in 2015
- As a senior in college, won the national Jikketsu tournament (a tournament for college students)
- In his third year of middle school, won the national boy’s and girl’s tournament
- He’s also placed highly in many amateur tournaments. Recently he placed in the top 16 for the national amateur Honinbou tournament
Mr. Ono has generously offered to play simultaneous games, with up to 4 players at a time.
He also will be competing in the monthly AGA ratings tournament on March 1, which is an outstanding opportunity for a up-and-coming dan level players!
Further, he’s interested in getting together with other strong players. If you’re interested, please email and I’ll pass it along to Chris and Mr. Ono.
— Mike M.
Updated with photos, 2020-03-12