Youth Go

The Seattle Go Center supports Go Clubs in the schools, and organizes up to three Youth tournaments a year.  This is in addition to teaching young players for free at the Center on Tuesdays from 3:00 to 9:00 p.m. (walk-in), Thursdays 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. (class for children and adults), and Saturdays 1:00 – 5:00 (walk-in).  We offer private instruction for youth on Sundays, for a fee.  For more information on private classes, please email Jon Boley

We also do class visits during the school day.  We recently gave a single 1.5 hour class at Mukilteo Elementary, combining a digital slide lecture with hands-on experience.

School Go Clubs (last updated Feb. 11, 2015)

This Winter, the Go Center will be sponsoring a Go club at McDonald International Elementary on Thursday afternoons.  The class is full. We are offering a Go club at John Stanford International School as well on Thursdays.  Both clubs are associated with the after school programs.

In the Spring of 2013, we also taught a weekly class during the school day in 6 classrooms at McDonald International Elementary, Seattle.  Other schools that have had go clubs in the recent past include Sacajawea Elementary (Seattle), Hamilton International Middle School (Seattle), Roosevelt High School (Seattle) and Meadowdale High School (Lynnwood), Kimball Elementary (Seattle),  and the the  Evergreen School (Shoreline).

The Go Center is very interested in starting up more school go clubs.  We find that this process usually this takes two leaders – a Go instructor and an in-school organizer.  We can usually provide the instructor  from among our Go Center staff and volunteers, but it is best to have a Go club organizer who is already involved with the school.  They will be much better at publicizing the club than we can be. The organizer might be a parent, teacher, staff member, or older student.  They do not need to know how to play Go; willingness to contribute some time to starting a Go club is sufficient.  In addition to providing an instructor, the Go Center can provide starter equipment, and help with after-school program applications, including providing insurance, business license and a budget. Since we are a 501(c)(3) public charity, we can also do fundraising, pay instructors, and pay employment taxes.